Since 1892, the Brienz Rothorn Railway has been steaming its way up to Mount Brienzer Rothorn (2,351 metres / 7,712 feet above sea level). The stretch of 7.6 kilometres (4.7 miles) length has a maximum gradient of 25 percent.
This steam railway negotiates a difference in altitude of 1,678 metres (5,505 feet) and passes through six tunnels and numerous galleries. A nostalgic locomotive burns some 350 kilos of coal and produces 2,000 litres of steam per return journey.
- Steam railway
- Mountain restaurant Rothorn Kulm with panorama terrace (food available for purchase)
- Steam Sausage Express – boiler sausages out of the steam kettle. (Operates on Wednesdays at 10:00)
- Workshop visits
- Salon Rouge – railway nostalgia combined with finest onboard cuisine available for purchase
- Rides in the driver’s cabin available
- Panoramic view onto 693 mountain peaks from Rothorn Kulm
- Hiking trails rich in variety
Operates June to October.
Children from 9 to 15 get a discount, children under 9 do not require a ticket but will share seats with a paying adult. Children under 16 travelling with their parents on a Swiss Family Card, will travel for free.
Discounts for passengers holding a Swiss or Eurail Pass.
Coupons issued are actual travel documentation and do not require to be exchanged at the station. If a passholder fare is purchased, both the coupon and pass must be presented at the station.
Once travel on the voucher is initiated, no refund will be due.