The Rail Explorer Pass is an economical way to travel the vast continent of Australia onboard the Indian Pacific, The Ghan and The Overland trains which allow six months unlimited travel on the Great Southern Railway network.
Destinations accessible with the Rail Explorer Pass include: Perth, Kalgoorlie, Adelaide, Broken Hill, Sydney, Melbourne, Alice Springs (gateway to Uluru/Ayers Rock) and Darwin via Katherine.
- Six months unlimited travel from the first date of use
- Red Service and Red Service Daynighter Seat
- The Rail Explorer Pass offers flexibility across all participating rail companies:
Fuel surcharges apply on The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland
- A reservation for each individual sector of travel is necessary to obtain a valid travel ticket.
- Possibility to upgrade to First Class, Business Class or Red Premium Service Seats and sleeping berths at additional cost.
- Pre-bookings for all trains is required at least 24 hours in advance
- The Rail Explorer Pass is only available to non-Australian passport holders and available for purchase by overseas visitors to Australia
- It is advised to carry passports with you at all times as railway staff may wish to check it against the passport numbers endorsed on the pass
- The pass must be validated within six months of purchase
- The pass is issued to and accepted by the person named on the ticket, subject to the Railways Acts bylaws, Regulations and General Conditions of Carriage in force in each Railway System to which the travel applies.
- The pass is valid for travel in a Red Service and Red Service Daynighter Seat, for unlimited travel on the Great Southern Rail network over a six month period, which starts on the day the pass is validated (first day of actual travel)
- It is strongly advised to reserve space on as many rail sectors as possible – before arrival in Australia
- It is advisable to be at the railway station at least 90 minutes prior to departure when first exchanging the voucher/ticket for the rail pass
- All sector bookings are subject to GSR Fuel Price Surcharge
- A passport must be produced at the first time of purchase to verify the passenger is a resident of another country
- If the pass is cancelled prior to validation a cancellation fee will apply
- Once validated, if a pass is lost or misplaced a reissue fee is applicable
- If you book a sector and do not travel on the sector without cancelling it in advance a no show/cancellation fee will apply and any unpaid Fuel Price Surcharges will also apply prior to commencement of further travel.